Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving only a couple of days away, I started asking myself "what am I thankful for?" A lot of things came into my mind as answers to that question.
I'm thankful for:
My wife.
My children.
My family.
My friends.
My house.
My car.
My job.
My life.
There are a lot of other things that flit through my mind, but each one carries with it the same sense of emptiness, the same feeling of eventual loss. I know in my heart that eventually all of these things will be gone, reduced to ashes and dust. In the grand scheme of things, most of what I'm thankful for will pass away from this world unnoticed. Fortunately, though, this world is not the end, and what we should all be truly thankful for will endure far longer than our short-lived sojourn on this planet.
So, lets try a revised list.

Today, I'm thankful for:
God, who has blessed me with life and has taken a personal interest in it.

My wife, whom God has brought into my life to partner with me until death.

My children, whom God has entrusted me with, to lead and raise in His ways.

My family, parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins, whom God has also blessed and have been a blessing to me.

My friends, both the fellow believers and the unbelievers, that God has put in my life for support, camaraderie, laughter and love.

My house, which would not have been possible without many of the things listed above and below, all God sent and supported, that fits our needs so well.

My car, which was a gift from a good friend and has been a blessing to our family.

My job, which allows me to provide for my family, spend time with my kids, enjoy weekly bible studies, all while providing an essential service to our community.

My life. Which God began shaping in my mothers womb. Which he has sustained through numerous trials and tribulations. Which has been blessed, repeatedly and freely. And most importantly, has been made eternal by the sacrifice of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Yes, I am eternally thankful for this blessing, this forgiveness, this amazing Grace of God. Who so loved the world that He sent His only begotten son to die for our sins and set us free from the debt we incurred by falling far short of His standards. So that we will not die, but live forever in His presence and through his Grace.

Thank You, Lord! For having such mercy on us. For loving us and seeking us first!

Regards, Chimneyphish










No comments:

Post a Comment